Below are some fun facts about November
1. The birthstone for November is the topaz.
2. The zodiac signs for November are Scorpio (October 23 - November 21) and Sagittarius (November 22 - December 21)
3. The birth flower for November is the chrysanthemum.
4. On November 2, 1769, a Spanish expedition reached San Francisco Bay.
5. On November 2, 1889, North Dakota became the 39th state of the United States.
6. On November 2, 1889, South Dakota became the 40th state of the United States.
7. On November 2, 1917, Arthur Balfour proposed settlement of Jewish people in Palestine.
8. On November 4, 1979, the U.S. Embassy was taken over by Iranian revolutionaries in Teheran and a group of U.S. citizens were seized as hostages.
9. November 5 is Bonfire (Guy Fawkes) night in the UK
10. On November 6, 1869, the first intercollegiate football game was played in the United States between Rutgers and Princeton.
11. On November 8, 1889, Montana became the 41st state of the United States.
12. On November 15, 1935, Manuel Quezon was inaugurated as the first president of the Philippines.
13. On November 18, 1883, standard time began in the United States.
14. Peanut Butter Lovers Month
15. National Good Nutrition Month
16. National Pepper Month
17. National Sleep Comfort Month
18. Aviation History Month
19. Election Day - first Tuesday after the first Monday in November
20. Thanksgiving Day - fourth Thursday of November
21. November 11 - Veteran's Day
22. In Finland they call November 'marraskuu' which translates as month of the dead.
23. There is no mention of the month of November in any of Shakespeare's plays or sonnets.
24. November has been designated National Novel Writing Month and National Blog Posting Month.